Chest in the middle of my show (pun; ‘just in the middle of my show’, but the show’s in ‘Chester’. Right?)

Just in the middle of my show.

Great crowd tonight. It’s not sold out, but as sometimes happens with a smaller audience, they are sort of keener. If you were there and you’re reading this in the future, thank you very much (pending a horrible meltdown in the second half).

Tomorrow I’m at the Cheltenham Literary Festival, as I mentioned earlier, and then I proceed to Durham and Market Drayton. Morale is still reasonably high in the camp. LTSM Giles is sitting contentedly with his Mac on his knees. He’s going back to Norwich AFTER DRIVING ME BACK TO LONDON TONIGHT. He will arrive at around Unthinkable a.m. There are times when he seems more vehicle than man.

To let you know: from now on I will periodically mention my DVD. It’s in my interests to do this and it’s in yours too, because if my DVD does reasonably well I will be able to continue as a comedian. If not, I am going to become an archaeologist. I’ll try to keep the promotional mentions interesting, for example squeezing them into the middle of unrelated topics and perhaps even inserting the phrase ‘DVD’ into words where it doesn’t apparently belong.

The DVD is released on November 28th, but you can already pre-order it to stave off archaeology. As well as my show at the Bristol Hippodrome, it contains a good slice of me at the Bloomsbury Theatre a few years ago with no glasses and a different accent; a Q and A which readers of this very blog helped put together; some backstage footage of me and Giles larking about; a man proposing while I was live on stage; and clips of me accepting my enshrinement in the Bristol Zoo Walk of Fame. I shall be impressed if you can think of any other product that includes these features.

Back on stage in chest a minute. Ha ha ha ha HA. DVD.

1. Cathy says:

I will be happy to buy your DVD as soon as I get back to the USA and have a debit card to access my funds. Currently I am in a country that is totally foreign to me and vice versa. Right now, I long for someone to speak English to me.

2. Argh I’m first, just came on here to have a moan and here you were first. I have already pre-ordered your DVD. In fact, I think I have pre-ordered it more than once, unintentionally, but my memory is bad. Still I guess that’s more Christmas presents sorted. Please don’t become an archaelogist, you would be crap at it, it’s very strenuous all that digging.

I just wanted to ask (not moan really) about the problem I am having booking two seats to your Swindon show. Left it a bit late as hubby wasn’t sure if he would be able to make it. I have tried to book two out of three that are in one of the rows and it is telling me “it is not permitted to leave single seats”. I don’t want to appear stupid but why is this? If I don’t get to this Swindon show I don’t know when I’ll get another chance to introduce hubby to you, he hasn’t seen you live yet although he has read all your books and was very hoppity skippity when I told him about your new one.

Have a good second half, bet there’s no horrible meltdown, people know a good show when they see one :)

3. Sarah says:

I hate that as well. I think they should leave singles, mainly because I go to quite a few things on my own and see getting a decent seat as a bit of a perk. I can see why they do it, not many people go on their own so are harder to sell.

4. Liz says:

I got a degree in archaeology, and still haven’t got a job 3 years later. Ok admittedly I’m not looking for a job in archaeology but still. You’ll never become an archaeologist even if you fail at comedy, which you won’t because you were awesome tonight.
    I had wished to say something more interesting when you were signing your book for me, but as usual, you only think of better things to say after the event, at which point it’s useless.
    Thanks for making me laugh, and come back to Chester soon; we’re dying from lack of entertainment in this city. :)

5. Melanie says:

When my sister (Claire) and I saw you in Manchester in June they wouldn’t let us book 2 out 3 possible seats. The box office guy just giggled nervously and said there was nothing he could do. Fortunately we managed to get seats on the end of a couple of rows, one behind each other so we had to make do with them, which turned out fine, but that’s not really the point! Jen came over and said Hi, she can verify this :p

i’ve had it on pre order for over a year now.

7. dave coathup says:

great show in Chester tonight Mark AND my mate was the loon making the noises for the late arrivals.
    Still smiling!!

8. Joelle says:

I would pre-order it but the only link I’ve seen for it is for the region 2 version which won’t work in Australia. Could you work details of an Australian release into a post?

I hope the second half of the show went well!

I don’t understand pre-ordering. Something went wrong last time and I may have accidentally paid Tim Minchin twice. But I will buy it once it’s out/ ask for it for Christmas because I’m a student. It would make a lovely ‘well done me for surviving’ end of term present to myself, but that presupposes I survive the term, considering I’m currently writing an essay due tomorrow morning and it’s only the second week of term.

Sorry, too many words in this comment and not enough on Middlemarch.

10. Melinda says:

Just placed my order…although ‘Indiana’ Watson has a certain ring to it.

Melanie speaks the truth…crazy seating was seen! :)
    …it really annoys me the whole seatin issue – I’ve just lost two really good seats for the Paul McCartney gig because I wasn’t allowed to leave one on its own…arghhh…I go to things on my own sometimes so does it really matter if there’s the odd single seat for people….so annoyin!!Jx ps had no internet for while so I’ll just quickly yay the new book n DVD…yay!

Yay. I am looking forward to the DVDs. I like DVDs.

On completely unrelated topics, I have a challenge for someone. Can anyone explain what actually happens in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? I have no idea what the bloody hell it was about. Admittedly I did fall asleep, but it was only for a minute. I spent most of it wondering where John Hurt went and was afterwards informed that he died like five minutes in.

13. David (man proposing) says:

I am very excited for the release as are my friends and family, I’ve never been a dvd extra before!

I might dedicate that day to watching it a few times, perks of being unemployed afterall!

15. Ingrid says:

Ah Mark your puns are sheer brilliance!