Flaws Mark Watson Tour 2014Hotel Alpha - the new novel by Mark Watson

Draw a picture here

I’m at the Pleasance. Saw Key and Horne tonight. Obviously, highly recommended. More details soon. Important to get this blog up though. Before midnight. Sorry not much of a blog. Please leave interesting facts to pad it out.

1. lisan66 says:

Interesting facts??
    None of the ‘mountains’ in the Dublin Mountains are high enough to be considered a mountain.
    They print more money for Monopoly daily than the Federal Reserve does.
    A group of unicorns is called a blessing (I don’t get why they havve a name for this though seems unicorns don’t exist).
    I got all of those out of a magazine. They’re meant to get you out of awkward situations when at parties etc. Give you something to talk about. I must try this sometime, just to see what happens. I’m pretty sure if I start talking about the height of the Dublin Mountains things will become more awkward….

2. Melanie says:

The combination “ough” can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: “A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.”

A group of ravens is called an Unkindness. To paraphrase Arthur from the wonderful radio sit-com Cabin Pressure – I didn’t even have to look that one up. It’s something that I just KNOW.

I’m loving these facts – I have none, interesting or otherwise at the moment, I’m afraid, as my head is pounding.

Oh, actually maybe this is one – language is held in a different part of the brain to singing. Often, someone with severe aphasia (communication disability normally following a stroke), who cannot necessarily find the words to speak, can sing along to songs they know.
    The part of the brain with which you sing is also separate from the part that controls accent. Actually, I’m less sure on this one, even though I’ve looked it up loads of times. Basically, people don’t necessarily ‘put on’ an accent while they’re singing. Or something. Hmmm.

Another fact I just thought of – not a universal one – in fact, the opposite of universal, as it only relates to me. I have about 10 or 11 names. I say ‘about’ – I can never remember them all, so have to refer to my birth certificate – which doesn’t actually have all of them on there, due to space/legal restrictions. My friends seem to think this is an interesting fact.

5. Meg says:

The font ‘Johnston’ is used for the signs for the London Underground. It was designed in 1916 by Edward Johnston and was also worked on by a guy called Eric Gill who was really into incest and stuff. Eric Gill later went on to design the font ‘Gill Sans’ which was heavily influenced by ‘Johnston’ and is the BBC font. #fontgeek

6. Beth says:

Libya is* the only country in the world with a flag that is just a plain field of colour (green, this case) with no other markings. This was a lot more of an esoteric fact 6 months ago. I once won sudden-death in a pub quiz with it.
    *technically I should say “was”, as it’s changed now.

On one short stretch of road in the East End have lived Captain Cook, Joseph Merrick (the Elephant Man), the Kray twins, George Lansbury, and Sylvia Pankhurst.

I look so much like my grandmother that I was sixteen before I realised that the photo of the little girl in old-fashioned clothes was her and not me. And I didn’t “realise” it, my mother overheard me telling a friend it was me and delivered the bad news (after she’d finished laughing for half an hour first, anyway).

There is a house in California that was under non-stop 24-hour construction for 38 years. The owner instructed the builders to just keep building rooms and rooms and more rooms. Google the “Winchester House”.

The fountains in Trafalgar Square are not the originals. The originals were made of red stone and are now in Ottawa.

There is evidence the Portugese (cannon found dating to the early 1700′s) and the Dutch (cave drawing of a Dutch ship) landed on mainland Australia before the British.

The government practice of taking Australian Aboriginal children away from their parents and placing them with white families “for their own good” started in the 1860′s and was still going on in the 70′s. The 1970′s. Sorry, is that too depressing?

- Horses cannot be sick, hence colic in a horse is potentially fatal.

- Radio galaxies were discovered by accident.

- Penicillin and sliced bread were discovered/invented in the same year.

- The dot above the I is called a tittle.

- In the right circumstances, pistachios spontaneously combust.

8. Suzanne aka Senior Watsonian says:

*** FOOTIE FINGER CROSSING ALERT!!! ***

Sunday 14 August 2011
    Cardiff City v Bristol City
    KO ~ 3.00 pm BST

We all have responsibility to finger cross thus ensuring a positive result and Mark’s happiness!

9. LisaD says:

I’m enjoying the collective nouns thing:
    A murder of crows
    A mischief of mice
    A congress of baboons

In the US that last one can either be used to describe a group of baboons or a group of American Congressmen.

10. Katy says:

Not so much an interesting fact, but today I had my annual visit from my mother. Was less painful than normal. She brought you up and said she may go and see you in Aberdare as this is apparently near where she lives. She said she was worried you may use “adult humour” and offend her. I told this would not happen so hopefully she be coming along!

11. Stu liv says:

Saw you in the audience tonight mark. Key is a twisted genius. His delivery is pitch perfect.

I do like a bath as well.

Turtles have no teeth
    Tomatoes were once known as love apples
    Sharks do get ill (despite belief that they can’t) and according to my sister never stay still,even when asleep- if they do they die!
    …AND I am currently on the train heading up to Edinburgh…hooooray!Jx
    Ps ta Suzanne for footy info!

13. Suzanne aka Senior Watsonian says:

You’re welcome, Jen … look out for update post match … Interesting facts will be revealed … OK, so it’s called the final score/result but it WILL be interesting to some … :D

14. Benjamin says:

Well, you don’t have much time I guess. Choo choo! Full steam ahead!

A blessing of unicorns? I like that.

This is a plug (disguised as a fact): This show is awesome – if you are in Edinburgh, you should definitely go see it – FACT!

It’s a show about love and sweets, and is brilliant.

www.pleasance.co.uk/edinburgh/events/skittles–2

(very poorly disguised plugging over)

17. Suzanne aka Senior Watsonian says:

Hmmm, not enough finger crossing I’m afraid!

Cardiff City 3 – Bristol City 1

P’raps not the best interesting fact to
    discuss, Jen … I’ll keep you informed …

Have a great time … wish I could join you …

Awwwww we tried,Suzanne I’m being distracted by Edinburgh comedy – hehe!Just seen Al Murray (he signed my thick n slow foam hand – Compete for Meat show -v funny)…currently in queue for Sarah Millican – and its sunny,hoooooray!Jx

19. Suzanne aka Senior Watsonian says:

PLEASE shut up, Jen … I’m jealous already ;D

You’ll be so exhausted by the end of the day with all that laughing and you’ll sleep well with a huge smile on your face!!!

20. I told an stupendously amusing fact a while back, but I’d been drinking Frosty Jack’s Cider (7 units per litre, comes in bright blue 3 litre bottles) all day and so I cannot remember for the life of me what it was. It’s been vexing me for weeks.

In it’s place, I’ll say this:
    When making plum wine, remember to de-stone your plums, or you could give yourself arsenic poisoning.

21. Al Kennedy says:

I was at Alex’s show on Saturday night as well. Sorry I didn’t bump into you; I’d have bought you a pint afterward.

William Moulton Marsden, the creator of Wonder Woman (a character who, as you may know, carries a lasso that she can use to compel people to tell the truth) invented the lie detector.

Isadora Duncan supposedly haunts Kennicott sixth form in Totnes. I never saw her, though. And I don’t really believe in ghosts.

Although I will never be able to think of anything interesting, I like this facts thing. We should do it more.

23. Not so much an interesting fact but a potentially useful tidbit: soured cream will keep for approximately two weeks in the fridge once opened. It sours a little more but is still perfectly edible – mould grows on it before it actually goes off.

Since I started reading your blog in Google Reader I feel less motivation to leave comments, but it does mean I remember to check it every day. I’m not sure whether this is something that needs rectifying, or whether you’re better off not having my blathering :)