Mark Watson Talks A Bit About LifeFlaws Mark Watson Tour 2014Hotel Alpha - the new novel by Mark Watson

Broken Britain

Well, we could all do with a laugh after what’s happened in the past few days. As I write I’m watching a news story about ‘vigilantes’ who are trying to protect their communities from the crazy folk, and who look pretty much just as crazy themselves. Mmm. This is a pretty mess. So, yes… we could all do with a laugh. What a shame then that I’m quite a serious person when not on stage.

If you haven’t been to the Fringe you might not realise the extent to which people here completely lose contact with all forms of reality which can’t be boiled down to a series of reviews and audience numbers. Not only does the self-referential nature of the entertainment industry make people (like me) obsess over relatively unimportant things; most people are stuck doing shows they’ve written over a long period so they can’t even incorporate major events into their acts unless they’re quite clever, meaning that there’s a weird situation where a big situation is hanging over the UK and most comedians are unable to address it properly at the world’s biggest comedy festival.

So I suppose what I’m saying is, if you’re scared or depressed by the present happenings, you might like to come up here. Bear that in mind. Did I mention the weather though? Today: about 10 hours of rain. According to the forecast this was ‘light rain’. Tomorrow: ‘heavy’.

1. Aislinn says:

That’s why I’m worried about going to Edinburgh, if I’m honest. At least when I’m here I know my family and friends and house are all safe. It’s leaving them all when this is going on and not knowing what’s happening that worries me.

Anyway. Positive. Definitely staying positive. Edinburgh soon! Comedy! Hoorah!

2. Corey says:

Its horrible the whole thing, everything about it but I’m not surprised. You can see the lack of respect these youngsters have in most towns over the land…….but the worst thing is I can’t come to Edinburgh this year. Double disaster!

‘Broken Britain’ – Al Murray was right!!
    Its all so awful n very sad!!Take care again everyone!Jx
    ps I need some light comedy relief – Edinburgh on Sunday…hooray!

up there next week – very much looking forward to it, but also feeling a bit similar to Aislinn – not like my being here makes any difference, but i worry about being out of touch when i’m up there. i guess my phone’ll have to actually do calls, as opposed to internet/photo-taking and all that other stuff!

Not sure if you’ve seen this, given the Edinburgh bubble, but the Guardian seems to have written something similar to this blog, about comedians attempting to address the riots:

www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2011/aug/10/edinburgh-standup-riots

6. Bansri says:

In reply to Corey, I just want to say that unlike the student riots, these are not youth related. The people rioting are no more likely to be under 20 than they are likely to like the colour blue, and it’s really horrible for teenagers that we are being singled out as being the group responsible for this, when so many older people have been arrested even including 60 year olds. The experience I’ve had of young people being involved includes my friends going to riot clean ups, encouraging everyone to remain at home, and even youths in my community who have youth workers going out into the streets with their youth workers and talking to people loitering and stopping them from rioting. Young people are not to blame for this.

I head two people make the briefest reference to the riots today, but I do feel very insulated. The biggest thing to scare me, is hearing that someone was mugged on the meadows a couple of days ago.

(don’t worry, me, andy, helen and sarah came home together today, then got a cab because of the “light rain”)

I keep phoning home to check that everyone is ok. But I think I like the fringe bubble.

I already wished I was there but recent events have made my jealousy go off the scale. If there is such thing as a jealous scale.

It definitely sounds like the best place to be right now.

10. Corey says:

Bansri, I know its not all youngsters and I know that the vast majority of youth are good people………but I do find it shocking to see 11 year olds wanting to do stuff like this. I was wrong to make it sound like its all down to the youth.