Mark Watson Talks A Bit About LifeFlaws Mark Watson Tour 2014Hotel Alpha - the new novel by Mark Watson

Foyled

The answer to yesterday’s poser was Miliband. Nigella WAS there the previous day, and I knew people might have read that, so I offered her as an alternative, and THEN put her name in the bloody title to psych some of you out, and because I am a magical Derren Brown-type mind guru, about three-quarters of you suckers FELL FOR IT. Bwa, as I believe they say, ha ha. It was Miliband who was being assailed by serious-looking socialists as I slunk into the tent for my event. Zellweger did not appear.

Here, thanks to Misha, is a link to me banging on to a Telegraph reporter shortly after my reading at Hay. Hope this works. It looks like you have to get into Facebook to access it. It’s not enormously interesting I imagine, but you know – always nice to see my little face, eh?

www.facebook.com/l/fb2ebNthgpVod3W6jBEmCqwQOqA/www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/8547540/Hay-Festival-2011-comedian-Mark-Watson-on-reading-in-the-bath-and-writing-on-the-road.html

I’m going to devote the remainder of this blog to harping on again about a book event. It’s on June 13th in Foyles, a fine independent bookshop on Charing Cross Road in London. It will start at about 7.30; I’ll read briefly from Eleven, dick about in my normal semi-coherent way, take questions, and eventually have some wine. I would love to have a strong Watsonian contingent there to boost what will be a quite significant moment in my trying-to-be-a-proper-writer career. It’s FREE – yes! FREE in capitals! – but you have to sign up in advance. The link is tinyurl.com/watsonatfoyles. I know, because I made it myself.

I’ll continue to hassle you about this and other forthcoming occasions to promote the new, slightly chunkier version of Eleven. Also, soon I will be doling out those foreign versions I offered recently. And before too long I’ll be starting to unveil details of the next novel. I might even read a bit of it at this Foyles gathering. YOU SHOULD COME!!! Did I mention?

1. Someone says:

^^ Why I need to live in London ^^ :[

For anyone else coming to Foyles, a group of us are going to haunta cafe that afternoon until book time.

I should note i’m not being a proper creeper, I happen to be in town that day anyway for an interview.

I would be there if I didn’t have an exam on the 14th. It’s only a mock/practice thing, but I still can’t justify another random jaunt to London (of which hopefully there will be many more. Last time was fun.)

4. Catherine aka Cathy says:

I would if I didn’t live in the states.

5. Josie says:

I wish i lived anywhere even remotely near what we call The South.

6. Beau Brummel says:

Hang on a minute, Mark – you didn’t specify which Miliband! I’m given to understand there are two: the better looking, cleverer, more experienced and dynamic Loser and the weird looking, adenoidal younger one who (in true biblical style) stabbed his elder brother in the back (how would you like it?)

We demand to know which one you bumped into: the not-at-all bitter Loser or the recently-married (but not to make himself look better in the eyes of middle England) slightly-more-left-wing geeky one who seeks to rule us…?

Thanks for clearing that up.

I’ll be training in Newcastle that day, but have specified I need to be back in London by 6.30 at the latest!!

do you know why this man’s face comes up when you book tickets?

www.foyles.co.uk/ImageDownload.aspx?isbn=9786000667214&size=Small&type=Gifts_Stationery

8. sarahthemonkey2 says:

Agree with a few that I can’t go because I’m nearly at the other end of the country.It is funny when the BBC talks about Scotland or even worse when they talk about Inverness or Aberdeen and make it sound like a foriegn country. Oh well back to breakfast

9. alot of rachels says:

I had all intentions of coming to foyles and was really looking forward to it but everything in my life seems to be happening that week so not sure I’m going to make it now. gutted!

(p.s did you get any Olympic tickets?)

I will be at the London thing in every way apart from actually physically being there. I can’t get to London, as usual, and it’s really near my exams so I have unfortunately relegated myself to my room for the next few weeks (hello anyone else with exam anxiety dreams). I will read Eleven in revision breaks in honour of it.

I like the video. I was searching for polos as I was watching it (found them), so I wasn’t completely concentrating to start off with, and thought you said you were a racist reader.

11. Katherine says:

I look foward to attending, I’m sure it will be a lovely day to meet some people in a cafe and Mark the author at a book store. Kx

12. Natalie-Helen says:

I have already signed up or the Foyles book thing.

You may have to excuse the smell as I return from a festival that day. I’m hoping to get home and washed before coming back out but if you see a muddy, greasy, tired looking girl with a large backpack; thats me.

^_^

13. Dominique says:

Won’t be coming to your book event but I did just buy Eleven on ‘pre-order’. Never done that before so feel honoured :)

ps: It better be good.