Success is random

Dreadful show last night. I didn’t do anything wrong particularly but they just didn’t enjoy it. I felt pretty low by the end. Great show tonight. I didn’t do anything special particularly but they kept laughing at everything. So, hmm. You could almost conclude that success in this business is a matter of
fairly arbitrary factors cohering in your favour. I suppose I’m happy with that. Whatever you set out to do today, remember it is sometimes not in your control whether or not it works out. You can only do your best. Thank you and goodnight.

PS if you are a fireman or something, obviously try to get it right.

1. Emily says:

Hey Mark!
    I was at your show tonight and i thought you were awesome. I really am curious though as to why that couple walked out so early??
    I was sitting next to some of the late comers, and after your kangaroo joke, they had very puzzled looks on their faces! So congrats on that accomplishment!
    Also thanks for giving me the courage to say No! Or randomly chase people in the street!

2. Melanie says:

The same attitude we had with the Glastonbury resale today. Absolutely gutted we didn’t get last october, but had all this time to realise its not the end of the world. Tried again in the resale today and got in. But if we hadn’t, at least we tried because its just luck of the draw, and we could have tried a different festival instead. A lot more relaxed and healthy way of thinking.

3. Sarah says:

I do try to go into work with a happy outlook and try to be postive but the customers can wear you down very quickly. Espically if they think they’re in the right when if they just read the sign/coupon/self-service screen they would understand what was going on.

Or when a comedian build up to the fact that they are going on tour, you get on their mailing list and then you get the dates. Not one for Scotland. And no, Jack Whitehall, playing the festival doesn’t count. If your doing a UK tour it should inculde Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Sorry to rant but I’ve been up since 4:30 and needed to get some things off my chest. Though in hindsight should have ranted on facebook again.

4. Carl says:

Thanks for making me smile :)

5. h2osarah says:

What an inspiring thought just 48 hours before my thesis defense. *tries not to panic*

It’s hard to apply that to personal life stuff though. Especially when it isn’t your personal life but it all impacts on you anyway. (“Join me next week for Lets Make No Fucking Sense when I will be waxing an owl”) I know. I know. I am suppressing to urge to whine in an emo and inappropriate manner.

But I will make an effort to think that way anyway.

7. Margaretl says:

Sorry to hear that you didn’t have had the greatest live audience last night but suffice to say that those of us tuned in to Dave were enjoying it!

8. Phill says:

I agree Mark. Sometimes success or failure is nothing to do with how good you are. Particularly in a profession like yours I would imagine.

Chin up, as they say!

I might show this to my Dad re:my currently unemployed state.
    Then he might stop bloody hounding me.

10. Lucy says:

I think there are good and bad days in any career: I am a nurse which in a way I suppose is sort of like a fireman in that you have to give getting it right a good bash as peoples lives depend on it, but however good a bashing I do (that doesn’t sound particularly good) some days it just doesn’t go right, nothing works the way it should do, and nothing you do ends up how you meant it to. I guess you just hope that the next day it’ll be better. I also find wikipedia-ing stuff to make you look knowledgeable works quite well.

11. Gweeds says:

Just as well I went to see you on Friday! My friends an I had a great time. I liked your idea of writing comments on notebook and projecting them as people come in. I am sometimes weary sitting in the front in case I get ‘picked’ on but I had to because one of my friends was in a wheelchair. Just next to me a couple set next to me almost at your show’s end. They reeked of alcohol. I thought they were quite rude being so late and drink instead to come and see you for the whole thing…I mean why bother? I thought you were quite gentle on them…!

Very apt advice for me today. You tell your family you’re getting married and they’re really happy, then you tell your future in-laws and they react like you just announced you were swingers. Some things are a mystery, and out of your hands.

13. Beth says:

Very glad I read this blog this morning instead of last night. Came in to work to find a horrible email full of completely unjust complaints directed at me. Not the best start to a week it must be said. Trying to keep my chin up, but seething anger seems to be winning at the moment. Slightly cheered by this though!

14. Georgia says:

Friday night was fantastic!

I’m sure someone enjoyed the show, don’t beat yourself up.

16. Michellet says:

My husband and I were at Saturday nights show and we had a blast, we loved it. Mind you we had been waiting a long time for you to return to Melbourne. The people who walked out early and those who arrived very late, rude! I loved how you started with the notebook session. When you walked on and sat down we wanted to start clapping and cheering but being British we just sat pointing at you!
    You can’t please all of the people all of the time. We were happy and look forward to reading your book .